In the manufacturing industry the need to source specific parts can sometimes present unexpected challenges . This case study explores a situation where a company facing difficulties in finding a discontinued part from previous supplier , sought the expertise of Plasticom, a injection moulding , toolmaking company in Kent.
Premier Foods , a manufacturer firm in Kent, encountered an issue when they wanted to resource the part from the previous manufacturer. This company has gone out of business and the tooling for this part was lost. As a result Premier food who has not purchased this part for a decade , it was crucial to find a reliable alternative.
Engaging Plasticom: Seeking a solution Premier Foods approached Plasticom , a renowned plastic engineering company, known for their expertise in reverse engineering and manufacturing injection parts. Plasticom took immediate action to assess the feasibility of their project.
- Sample collection and application Analysis: Plasticom requested sample of the parts to understand their design and functionality . They carefully examined the application in which the conveyor slats were used to gain comprehensive insights into their purpose and performance
- Reversed engineering and 3D printing: Using the samples and the information gathered Plasticom initiated the reverse engineering process. Skilled engineers analysed the part’s dimensions , geometry and material properties . From this analysis a £D part was created allowing Premier Food to conduct trials and assess its performance.
- Tool manufacturing and Testing: Once the 3D sample was approved, Plasticom proceed to manufacture the new mould tool. The tool was manufactured and tested on-site ensuring that the quality and specifications met the customer’s requirements.
- Production and Delivery: Upon final approval of injection moulded samples, Plasticom commenced production of the conveyor slat. During the manufacturing Plasticom maintained regular updates on the progress. Finally the parts were deliver within the agreed timeframe.
Results and Benefits : The collaboration between Premier foods and Plasticom yielded several positive outcomes:
- Seamless integration: The newly manufactured parts seamlessly fit into the production line without any issues. They have been successfully running for several months, proving their reliability.
- Enhanced durability and Fit: During the redesign phase. Plasticom made valuable suggestions that resulted in a more durable and better-fitting part compared to the original. This improvement contributes to the overall performance of the production line.
- Effective communications and timely delivery: Plasticom’ s commitment to transparent communication allowed Premier foods to stay informed about the progress of the project. This ensured that the parts were delivered on time, minimising disruption to the manufacturing process.
I will conclude the this case study with the feedback from Steve Baird – Reliability Performance Improvement Engineer – Premier foods.
“ We approached Plasticom to assist on our quest, from that moment the whole process was effortless. Due to the suggestions that were made during the redesign phase , they created a part that is more durable and better fitting than the original part. I would highly recommend Plasticom for all your plastic needs”